Cholesterol Conversion Calculator
Refer to the text below the cholesterol converter for more information about the conversions between the two measurement units.
With two difference measurement systems, mmol/L in the UK and mg/dL in Europe and USA, clinicians may be required to convert cholesterol levels from one unit to the other.
For Total Cholesterol, HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol:
- To get from mmol/L to mg/dL multiply by 38.66976;
- To get from mg/dL to mmol/L multiply by 0.02586.
- To get from mmol/L to mg/dL multiply by 88.57396;
- To get from mg/dL to mmol/L, multiply by 0.01129.
Send Us Your Feedback
Steps on how to print your input & results:
1. Fill in the calculator/tool with your values and/or your answer choices and press Calculate.
2. Then you can click on the Print button to open a PDF in a separate window with the inputs and results. You can further save the PDF or print it.
Please note that once you have closed the PDF you need to click on the Calculate button before you try opening it again, otherwise the input and/or results may not appear in the pdf.
Cholesterol Conversion Formulas
In Europe or USA cholesterol and triglyceride levels are expressed in mg/dL whilst in the UK, they are usually expressed in mmol/L.
For Total Cholesterol, HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol
- To convert from mmol/L to mg/dL multiply by 38.66976;
- To convert from mg/dL to mmol/L multiply by 0.02586.
- To convert from mmol/L to mg/dL multiply by 88.57396;
- To convert from mg/dL to mmol/L, multiply by 0.01129.
Cholesterol levels are tested through blood cholesterol or lipid panel tests, and are recommended every 5 years between the ages of 20 and 45 and after more frequently.
The relation between the different forms of cholesterol provides information about cardiovascular risk, therefore not only the levels are measured but also the TC/HDL ratio and the LDL/HDL ratio.
Haney EM, Huffman LH, Bougatsos C, et al. Screening for Lipid Disorders in Children and Adolescents [Internet]. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2007 Jul. (Evidence Syntheses, No. 47.) Appendix 2. Units of Measure Conversion Formulas.
Published On: November 7, 2020 · 12:00 AM
Last Checked: November 7, 2020
Next Review: November 7, 2025